Sunday, August 28, 2011

RHGNL Rug Camp

The Rug Hooking Guild of Newfoundland and Labrador held it's 16th. Rug Camp at beautiful Kildevil Anglican Camp, Lomond in Gros Morne, NL. Look at the spectacular view we had of the Lomond River and the mountains on the other side.
There were 96 rug hookers in attendance at the camp and we had a marvelous time mingling, hooking, laughing.......
On Friday night we held a Fashion show and the participants had to dress as they did when they turned 16. There were participants there who turned 16 in the 1940's right up to the 1980's. The oldest lady was 83 years old. I wore the dress that I made for my high school graduation. Sorry I don't have a picture, I didn't get to take any at the Fashion show.

I did a course at the Rug Camp in Needle Punch. It was very interesting because we used a lot of novelty yarns in the piece and it gave a nice effect to it. We used an eyelash yarn and it looked like grass.
This is my piece, you work from the top, but the back becomes the right side of your work. Needle Punch is a lot faster than hooking. Here are some of the ladies in the class working on their pieces.

In the background you can see some of our instructor's (Liz Young) finished rugs. Beautiful work. Here are a couple of pictures closer up.



The last picture is similar to the piece that we were working on for our course.

And finally, my certificate. I passed my course and had a wonderful time.

This was my very first Rug Camp, but it will not be my last. Wonderful people, wonderful food and wonderful memories.

Now I have to gear up for the Rug Retreat on beautiful Woody Island, NL from Sept. 30 to Oct. 2. Can't wait.





No comments:

Post a Comment